DIAMOND TERMS GLOSSARY
- Nailhead – Round brilliant diamond with a dark center which resembles the head of a nail; caused by a pavilion depth greater than 48%.
- Natural – Portion of the original surface of a rough diamond which is sometimes left on the fashioned stone, usually on the girdle, to indicate that maximum possible size has been obtained
- Natural Diamond – Diamond formed by nature, one which is not synthetic
- Near Colorless – Trade term used to describe diamonds that appear colorless in the face-up position, but which actually contain slight tints of yellow (G-J)
- Near-Gem – Term used to describe a rough diamond whose color and clarity is such that it may be either polished or used in industry, depending on market conditions
- Needle – Fine, elongated inclusion rarely seen in diamonds